The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Thursday October 6, 2005 at 18:09
beldredge
Long Time Member
October 2005
Has anyone gone back to cable after being on satellite for awhile?

I have been on DirecTV for a few years now, and originally switched to that from cable because satellite was a little more "high-tech." It seems though that cable has sort of caught up now.

My setup - I use a Channel Vision modulator to feed two SAT receivers in the basement (one a DirecTivo) throughout my house. I have a third HD receiver in my family room, feeding the local HDTV at that location.

I am considering switching back to cable for the following reasons:

1) Local HD channels (w/o antenna) - already included with Comcast cable; I know DirecTV will be offering it as well, but when?

2) Ability to have standard cable on any TV in the house, tuned through that TV, instead of a receiver (seems simpler to me and would eliminate the need to use an RF extender to control a receiver in the basement).

3) OnDemand - Comcast has this feature with several movies and other programs available "ondemand." Seems pretty cool - any others with experience on this?

4) Comcast's DVRs are also HD (HD DirecTivo's are still pretty expensive, aren't they?)

So, I would get two HD DVRs - one would go in the family room, one would be distributed from the basement. So any TV could use that one, and a third TV, if need be, could always just use standard cable. I would also save $10/month on my internet (through Comcast), but overall the pricing would be almost identical to my current setup, though I'd save $400 or so over the first year as part of a Comcast promotion.

So, sorry for the long post - but any thoughts on going back to cable?

Thanks a bunch!

Hosting Services by ipHouse