The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 13 made on Thursday December 14, 2006 at 13:40
Ernie Bornn-Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
Did you read my last post? You seemed to have missed some things.

On December 14, 2006 at 10:03, SDZD said...
So CBS is channel 2.1 in Chicago. It is on Frequency Assignment
3 according to cea's antenna web.

First, let's understand something about HD channel numbers. Here in Los Angeles, CBS or NBC, I forget and don't care which, has its HD signal on UHF channel 36. Let's say it's CBS; they don't call if 36, they call it 2.1. Why would they do this?

They do it for the stations, so that people who used to watch 2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13 can go look for 2.1, 4.1, 5.1, 7.1, etc instead of having to learn that they now want 36, 55, 68, 23, etc. In other words, it was to minimize confusion for the person who knows nothing about this stuff and just wants to find the fleekin HD station.

You know something about this stuff, so now you need to know more. Yes, 2.1 IS channel 3. That is, CBS is broadcasting its HD signal on channel 3. Their non-HD signal is on channel 2. But the names of the channels are 2 for non-HD and 2.1 for HD.

This is why there is a column at antennaweb for the actual channel assignment, and that is the more stuff you needed to know about.

Is that what you mean
about being on a VHF Channel?

Yes. Channels 2 - 13 are VHF.

If so why would it be working
for 6 months and then all of a sudden go out?

Define "working." I got the impression from the first post that the client might never have gotten 2.1 very well, and it got worse. Not that it was excellent and suddenly is gone. Zip. Zero. Nada. Just that it got worse. Of course, maybe I am reading faster than I am thinking....

So, was it ever perfect? Did it go from perfect to non-existent? More to the point, how many business days have gone by with you wondering this but not calling the station to find out? They are the people who will actually know. google is very happy to give out phone numbers. Their call letters might be the name of a web site with channel info, too, or at least contact phone numbers. You don't have to pay telephone info a buck to find the phone number.

Did they
change the Frequency Assignment?

That's what you would ask the station. It is possible for antennaweb not to be completely up to date. They're only human.

What antenna would you guys suggest? I do see the same
style all over the place here, but if it’s wrong I will
have no problems changing it.

Did you read my post? I made about as clear a recommendation as I could, taking into account how close you are and the fact that Radio Shack has changed antenna models since I bought mine.

I would just go ahead and recommend the Winegard GhostKiller, which I think is the HD-7210. It's a great VHF/UHF antenna with no elements that angle up or down from the antenna. That means you can put it into a shallow attic very nicely, not that this is a help to you. But it's a great antenna.

However, it is a VHF/UHF antenna. Read my last post again -- whether you get one depends on where 2.1 is now, in the future, and when it will move there. I noticed from the antennaweb channel listing for your zip code that no other HD stations now broadcast in the VHF channels, so CBS, in the words of our illustrious President, is the Decider.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse