The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 223 made on Thursday January 19, 2006 at 19:32
Mr. Stanley
Elite Member
January 2006

Ahhhh Yes!!! Beevis and Butthead ... Selling supposedly "hot" speakers out of their VAN to vulnerable losers...
These guys have been doing this in Seattle since the early '80s...
I traced them down... They used to wait outside taverns and by cash machines and say "Hey dude... Check out these speakers... we got overshipped a pair... here check out this shipping invoice".... So the poor sucker goes over and they have this pair of Super Theater Turbo BASS MX1000's "They cost 1200$ but we's sellin' dees babies for uh... well 500$ or whateverer"...

So... anyway they are sh*t speakers... but here is where it gets interesting.... years ago I reported them to the Seattle Police fraud division... (They would get several calls a day)...They said - "sorry" they really aren't breaking any laws... it's a civil matter-they have a business license for King County... It's buyer Beware!!!"
O.K. so I bumped into them again... this time they had literature on the speakers... I grabbed one, and there was an address on the literature... Turned out to be this rented warehouse space outside of Seattle, stacked to the rafters with these speakers... With 3 nice plain white vans parked out in the back! The scam was or is - These speakers are not really stolen or hot or overshipped... That is just the story they sucker people into with... The speakers cosmetically look fairly decent, but they are crap... They buy them in bulk, from this Asian fellow for around $120 per pair.... Then each day a couple of these jokers would drive around to parking lots, bank machine lots... and prey on people who thought they were getting a super deal on "hot" merchandise!!!
I managed a HI FI store by the Fort Lewis military base... we also did speaker repair... and almost every other week, we'd have some G.I. come in with a blown pair of these speakers... I'd always play dumb (easy for me to do I know, thanks!), and I'd say something like "Wow these are nice where'd ya get them???" and they would tell me... Uhhhhh, well,,, a couple of guys in this white van.... Then I'd ask them "Did they say they got overshipped one pair?" and these guys would have a look of shock and say uh, yeah!!! How'd you know???
The speakers didn't even have real crossovers... just a capacitor on the tweeter and mid-ranges... Magnets on the woofers the size of a pencil eraser!!!
They are still around here, and in the late eighties started branching out to other cities...
The sad part is, sometimes they'd catch these G.I.s coming out of the bars on PayDay, when the GI's were drunk... and talk them into the speakers, and meet them at an ATM... and some of these poor GI's would come in to get them repaired... and they would end up paying anywhere from $400 to $1200 for these peices of crap... But then again, they would try to convince the unsuspecting "buyer" they were stolen or not inventoried... I don't have a lot of pity for the idiots that would fall for their scam... kinda serves them right...

Those guys sell a frickin' ton of them... A sucker is born every minute... I'm sure they's be selling in-walls pretty soon!
"If it keeps up, man will atrophy all his limbs but the push-button finger."
Frank Lloyd Wright

Hosting Services by ipHouse