Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Thursday February 11, 1999 at 19:50
Thad
Historic Forum Post
As a "Cyber-remote newbie" I am amazed at what the two new products (IRIQ & Pronto) have to offer. As one of the first RC2000 users I know well how little quirks of an otherwise great system can be frustrating. Enough of that.

As you can see from the title I am really confused about which of these two platforms offer, for the mainstream, the greatest ease-of-use while also being somewhat bullet proof. Like many of you I'm sure, I first bought the RC2000 and am now considering these untits 1st for my wife and ease of use (this really helps on the WAF {wife/spouse approval factor}of additional equipment purchases) but also because like many of you my HT system has become so complex you really need a high power remote to tame the technology beast. Again, enough of that.

The real point of this thread is to solicit your opinions on which (if either) platform is best suited for me given the following criteria:

1. Ease of use

2. Ease of programming. The highly programmable nature of the Pronto is alluring and I would proabably dabble...but I need a system that is relativley easy to set up (including macros).

3. Relaible- I really don't mind spending the money if the value is there. Though this forum is great for the sharing of ideas and remedies I am concerned that I may not have the time (or frankly the expertise) to follow your well meant and timely advice. So, "out-of-the-box" performnace (with moderate programming) is essential for me.

4. Upgradable. I guess the point here is that I want to select a product that will continue to serve the grwowing list of new and better HT systems. Even beyond the new stuff, what do you do if your product isn't listed with the IR codes? I am sure there are many answers to this simple question....but which unit is more flexible in this regard?

I have read this and the Pronto forum (I also plan to leave a similar message on that Post as well) for the last 4 weeks and I am truly amazed by the interest and support these two products have among the loyal users. However, to me the complexity of the subject matter leaves me dazed and confused. In fact, I went to local dealer to see and presumably buy the Pronto and ending up bringing the Madrigal IRIQ home. After glancing through the manual and reading your forum I was so scared I returned it without even installing the batteries (I know I'm a wimp but the retailer had such a short return policy I panicked). So I am truly dazed and confused and in search of some helpful comments comparing the "usability" for a newbie like me.

Thanks,

Thad

Hosting Services by ipHouse