The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 4 made on Friday February 12, 1999 at 22:20
Daniel Tonks
Historic Forum Post
Michael:

One test I have for IR signal strength is using it under a blanket. Is this blanket dense knitted wool? No. Instead, it's about 3/4" thick fluffy polyester. If you shine a flashlight under it you can see light on the other side, however it is very diffused. My original remotes can not operate any of my equipment under it, however both the Pronto and Take Control can. The AV2000 will work as well, but I have to aim a bit more carefully.

The IR signal strength and diffusion on the Take Control seem normal, in that it's equal in performance to my original remotes. I don't have to aim any more specifically than before. Is it as strong as the Pronto? No. That is exceptional in that you can aim ANYWHERE and it will still work.

One point that too many people are missing is that a big part of IR signals is on the receiving end. I have a generic universal remote that came with my TV on which I learned a JVC VCR and a Aiwa mini-system. When using the Aiwa system I have to pretty much aim right at the unit, however I simply can't miss the JVC VCR, even pointing completely away from the unit. This is not caused by the remote (obviously) but rather by the sensitivity of the receiving end. If you have notibly poor receivers you'll probably need a remote like the Pronto to compensate.

The Take Control does have its flaws, which I did point out. I find the wheel somewhat slow, but it's not like a full second delay. More like 1/4 to 1/3 - not ideal but still managable. Everything considered, there's nothing wrong with the Take Control: it's a fine product, but one that would still benefit from additional refinement.

Bruce:

Thanks. I forgot about that when finishing the review.

Hosting Services by ipHouse