Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 2 made on Friday February 12, 1999 at 17:46
Michael Lynch
Historic Forum Post
I recently bought the TC1000, and am disappointed in it, and to an extent, with Dan's review. I was planning on returning the TC1000, but thought I'd wait until I read Dan's review. It's still going back. I guess the clue that the review's goal was to paint the TC1000 in the best possible light was when it covered the design of the TC1000's box. Now that's reaching . I should note that I also have a Pronto, and a Sony AV2000 (which is being sold).

I can understand that Dan feel's he has some type of obligation to H/K to write a good review, since they provided him the TC. That's the only reason I can think of for the nonchalant treatment of some glaring deficiencies.

The most critical deficiency is IR power. One might assume that, "IR signal strength and beam diffusion seems normal and operated my equipment flawlessly from under a blanket..." means the TC1000 is as powerful as the AV2000 or Pronto (the only other remotes reviewed). It is not! Sure, it might be as powerful as a "typical" remote, but for $300, I expect a little more power (actually, a lot more). In fact, I am surprised that Dan wrote that the TC1000 worked from under a blanket at all, since IR does not travel through non-transparent objects. Was it really a blanket, Dan, or some kind of crocheted doily?

If you have a TC1000, and you feel its IR power is adequate, great. But once you see the omni-directional ability of the Pronto, nothing less will suffice.

I won't anger you with any more negative comments (however, the slow-as-molasses wheel is something I definitely don't have the patience for, but I'm digressing). On the positive side, the TC1000's software (both internal and external) does make it considerably easier to get started using the TC1000.

-Mike

Hosting Services by ipHouse