The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 7 made on Friday June 16, 2023 at 09:49
Darnitol
Universal Remote Control Inc.
June 1999
Brad, I'm not any kind of official spokesperson for URC, but I can tell you that URC's lack of official presence is, in large part, specifically because we don't want to foster the impression that we sell direct-to-consumer products. As you can see and have directly been involved with, any attempt we make at answering any burning questions nearly always sets off a wildfire. When someone asks, "Why can't I download the software," they don't really want to know why URC's policy is what it is—they are asking for the policy to change.

I'm not part of any of those decisions, though obviously I do share important interactions I have on RC with the rest of the management team when it seems appropriate. I come to RC because one day around 25 years ago I was poking around the internet to see if anyone else was programming their Philips Pronto with the kind of graphics I was creating for mine. There were folks who made better files than me, and folks who were just looking for better graphics than they knew how to create. But it was a community. We were all amazed and fascinated by what each other could accomplish, and who we could help out, and how. Early on I had somewhat of a rivalry with Daniel Tonks himself, because as much as I hated to admit it, his files were cleaner and had more attractive graphics than mine did. I think we both (among others) pushed each other to make our work, and the expectations of what a touchscreen remote could be, into both art and science. So Daniel inadvertently, both by creating Remote Central, and by challenging me, introduced me to a hobby that soon became a career. My children grew up watching their dad tinker with adding the Christmas lights to the remote when no one else was doing that. I used what I learned to help automate the home of a friend who became a quadriplegic in a terrible drive-by shooting. My elderly parents are no longer afraid to try new (to them) technologies like Roku or Disney+ because they count on their son to "make it easy."

So when I say I come here because it "feels like home," that's the kind of stuff I'm talking about. Seeing old friends I used to chat with about home theater, automation, and lighting isn't just me checking in on the fringes of my job. I miss the community that led me to skills that changed my life, bought my home, and fed my children. I honestly don't think more than one or two people at my job have any idea how much this industry is a part of me or how much it means to me to try to contribute to it in a meaningful and positive way. But URC doesn't sell direct-to-consumer anymore, so it's important that I not hover here too long and give the impression that we have an official presence on a forum that exists for the general public. I'm not an ambassador for that policy or even for the company; I'm a guy travelling once more to his "home town," hoping to experience a little but of nostalgia without aggravating anyone or complicating any issues while I'm here.

I understand your frustration. I am probably the dictionary definition of Home Theater and Automation Hobbyist. It literally became my life. And yes, I'll share your thoughts with the team. But I won't debate the points or the reasons; that's not in my wheelhouse. What I will do is offer you a virtual mug of beer and sit down with you to enjoy the view here in this lovely little community that Daniel Tonks built. We can reminisce about the old days and dream about what will be and what could have been.

Sure, I can't call this my home anymore, but it's where I began. I miss it, and I still enjoy taking part, if only for the occasional drop-in to tell everyone hello.

Have a wonderful day, and may your sales and work satisfaction equal your passion to make our industry an always-improving place.

Last edited by Darnitol on June 16, 2023 10:03.
I'm a member of the Remote Central community, just like you! My comments here are my own, and in no way express the opinions, policies, or plans of Universal Remote Control, Inc.

Hosting Services by ipHouse