The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 9 made on Friday February 24, 2023 at 16:01
BobL
Founding Member
March 2002
The NP5 and RS1100 are the same projector sold to two different markets. Whichever one you can get. I like them a LOT and more than the Sony. Their build quality is definitely a step up from the Sony. I still have some customers using the RS-1 and have done over 10 bulb changes without problems for the 15+ years. The JVCs frame adapt HDR is second only to dedicated processors like Lumagen or MadVR.

I don't think the jump in price to laser in the JVC lineup is worth it for performance. They have the same native contrast and performance is basically the same. A little benefit with laser dimming for dynamic contrast as it can shut off and go completely black but in reality, not much difference. Laser obviously doesn't need to be replaced but you can buy a lot of bulbs for that price difference.

Another thing to consider is when you replace a bulb you are back to full brightness. Lasers dim over their lifespan just much slower because of their rated lifespan. In reality except for direct laser projectors (not JVC) it is the phosphor wheel that deteriorates and if you could replace that they would probably last practically forever. It wouldn't be financial sense for companies to make them replaceable with that many hours of lifespan. Plus, technology will have certainly changed by the time it needs to be replaced.

The only advantage I see to the Sony projectors besides price is typically they are more accurate out of the box. At this price range I would recommend a calibration by a good calibrator. If one is unlikely to get it calibrated the Sony has some merit because it is closer out of the box.

Hosting Services by ipHouse