The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 98 made on Sunday January 16, 2022 at 11:42
Anthony
Ultimate Member
May 2001
On January 15, 2022 at 11:38, tomciara said...
Anthony, I must not have been clear.  I think my point was, why watch people die if treatments actually might work? Why not give a Covid positive patient inexpensive drugs when there is a great chance it could save his life?

iI know you can argue and call these successful treatments “anecdotal”, but if your choice was some drugs with a possibility of healing you vs. see if you need a ventilator… this part I just can’t wrap my head around.

It is not about "anecdotal" a lot of doctors have tried a lot of different stuff to try and help (that is why you heard of those two) but medicine is not easy, some people will naturally get better even if they get to the hospital and ICU. When doctors heard of those treatments they tried them but they noticed being on those drugs did not improve survival chances and gave up on them.

In the US, insurance, hospitals, doctors are a for profit business. Now I am not here to debate our different medical systems and I doubt it is true but maybe one can try and make the case they don't want to use cheap, readily available drugs because it hurts all their margins and they don't care about people surviving. But even if that was true how do you explain the rest of the world. Doctors are paid well here but they are public servants with a salary.

What do we say often in the CI lounge? "hire a pro". If the pro tells me take this crocodile medicine and it has a good chance to save a life, I will take it, but if he tells me don't take X, I am not ready to pretend that I know better. Maybe the difference is in our culture. Here we are near the border, when I watch US channels it is full of advertisements that end with "ask your doctor about them" and a slew of microscopic letters and someone running through a bunch of possible side effects as if they don't matter or exist, you will never see such advertisements here because drug companies aren't allowed to try and get people to buy into their snake oil.

Hosting Services by ipHouse