On July 19, 2021 at 17:59, bitzerj said...
Figured I would reach out to see if there was anything that could be done to restore access...
Thank you for contacting URC.
Our products are only available and delivered through a certified, local dealer. This ensures that they are programmed and updated correctly.
URC software has never been distributed or allowed to be used by END USERS. We have always promoted this as a “dealer only” solution.
Over the last few years, we have detected unauthorized use of our software. In order to ensure proper operation, we have instituted a password protection feature to ensure that only our authorized dealers are able to use our programming software.
If you would like assistance finding a dealer in your area, please visit our website and click the Find a Dealer tab ([Link: urc-automation.com]
). If you enter your information and submit as a NEW URC SYSTEM, our local sales team will send a list of certified dealers to program your remote.
If there are any further questions or comments please feel free to contact the Universal Remote Control, Inc. family at 1 (914) 835-4484, Monday through Friday between 9 AM to 5:30 PM EST.
I was able to hit a backup and get a somewhat recent copy back..Ugh!
I really HATE these guys.
This is a lie from them. They specifically allowed dealers to provide the software to their customers. Daniel posted the information he received directly from URC in 2013:
On March 4, 2013 at 02:26, Daniel Tonks said...
If you’re an end-user looking to buy a URC remote control so that you can program it yourself, please note the following important information:
- URC’s computer programmable remote controls DO NOT include programming software in the box.
- URC dealers ARE allowed to provide consumers/end users with the programming software for Complete Control products, but not for Total Control products.
- Dealers are NOT obligated to provide you with this software, and may require you to pay for professional programming. So check on a dealer's individual policy before you buy.
- URC will NOT provide you with the software for a remote you just bought online, and additionally, will not support the hardware warranty on products purchased from non-authorized dealers.
- If you buy from an authorized dealer and they do give you the software, URC still does not offer programming support to consumers/end users. If you require after-sales assistance, you will need to contact your original dealer, or post in the forums here on Remote Central.
- As a final note, if you’ve recently purchased a URC remote and find yourself without software, please do not ask someone on this site to give it to you. This is against URC’s policies. If your dealer will not give you the software and did not inform you at the time of purchase that professional programming was required, then they should not have sold you the remote in the first place. Return it and buy from someone else.
Similarly, if you have URC software do not publically offer to give it to others, as this is also against URC's policies and will result in the removal of your post and/or RC account.
Their dealers will corroborate this. It's a malicious change and it's underhanded. They used a tactic to market CC products by allowing DIYers to use them as long as they obtained the product and software through authorized channels. They could have either established a login system for authorized end users or simply blocked future updates. Instead, they went further and deliberately de-activated the software. It's slimy, underhanded, and scandalous behaviour.