Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 14 made on Sunday September 2, 2018 at 22:01
Dean Roddey
May 2004
Temporary software glitches, any sort of malignant software that gets itself into memory (but can't permanently install itself without triggering security prompts), accumulated resource usage, and so forth, are all tempered by restarting. I shut my actively used machines down at night and turn them on in the morning.

Automation controller/server type machines, where are never used directly, never run a browser or any end user GUI applications and such, aren't as much of an issue on this front. But end user machines, they are all subject to accumulated stresses and weirdness and shutting them down at night and starting them back up in the morning is a good thing to do.

I don't believe there's any remotely significant stress related to this in modern systems, certainly not enough that would override the benefits of regularly letting them start life from scratch again.

To me, hibernation modes and sleep modes are the worst of all. It's incredibly difficult to debug issues that occur because of going into these modes, so probably lots of software products have bugs related to dealing badly with these modes being invoked. They may not be the immediately fatal kind, but easily can be the accumulated damage kind. Then you start wondering why your machine is flaky.

Turning off the computer is the machine equivalent to a good nights sleep. Leaving it on is the equivalent of never sleeping at all, and that's never good for anyone. Sleep/hibernation modes are the equivalent of tossing and turning, where you supposedly got some sleep but really just feel worse when you wake up.
Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
www.charmedquark.com

Hosting Services by ipHouse