The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 5 made on Friday August 31, 2018 at 00:07
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On August 30, 2018 at 23:24, buzz said...
I make a point of power cycling an item no more than once a day. (Unless I’m testing a control system) I agree that power up is very stressful.

Why should this be? Power supplies can easily be made so the voltages come up from zero in a controlled manner, and anything run by a power supply could be designed to carefully limit how power is applied to different circuits while the voltages come up to working voltage.

With respect to booting the hard drive, the drive goes to sleep after a while.

I'm surprised that you say this. We get to choose when it goes to sleep, or even if it goes to sleep at all, when setting the power profile. It doesn't go to sleep after a while, it behaves the way we define it to behave (within the limits of the choices we're given). Nothing about a hard drive going to sleep is out of our control.

Waking is nearly as stressful as power up.

If this is so, why isn't it designed to be stressed less? I can only conclude that this isn't true.

Certainly, one could make a point that there is quite a lot of disk activity during boot up. It’s a voice coil driven head and there is very little wear for seeks.

That last sentence seems to contradict the one before it.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse