The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Thursday August 30, 2018 at 15:58
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
In a recent thread ([Link: remotecentral.com]), buzz stated that his office computer is always on and he turns his home computer off when he's not there.

A totally obvious possibility is that it's dangerous (if he uses HDDs) to leave the computer on all the time compared to only having it on when he's using it. On the other hand, perhaps booting a hard drive is more likely to damage it than running it 24 hours a day. (And when I was doing a project in Saudi Arabia, my desktop was on for up to seven weeks at a time.)(With Teamviewer I could go to sites that were forbidden by the Saudi IPs.)

A Digital Trends article [Link: google.com] suggests (my paraphrasing) that I should leave it on since I'm likely to otherwise turn it on and off more than once a day.

That article was written in 2015 when SSDs were more expensive, and the way that SSDs age is different from what happens with HDDs. In particular, Hibernate writes A LOT of stuff to the drive compared to sleep or shutdown, so Hibernate might not be the best idea if you have an SSD.

What's the latest? Does anyone here know?
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse