The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 13 made on Tuesday December 8, 2015 at 11:13
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
To everyhone else, sorry, but I'm pursuing something different here with edmund, probably not of interest to you.

On December 8, 2015 at 04:49, edmund said...
This same signal is what initiates the message at the bottom of receiver screen if there isn't a tv code programmed to the tv device. Telling to program the tv device.

That message is just irritating, but maybe just because I know I've got things programmed. I have two TVs running off the same HR24 and one of the remotes makes that message come up. Now I know to turn it off.

It can also tell the receiver what brand of components are program to each device. This was way before receiver actually programmed the remote for you,

Are you saying that the new receivers send signals of some kind to the remotes? It always seemed like that must be how that system didn't work (it didn't work in most of the cases when I've tried it)!

back then in the menu there was a simple list of brands on each device. The user didn't tell the receiver what codes it used, the receiver recognized them by this extra signal.

I don't see how the system recognized anything about, say, an old Sony receiver versus a new one with different codes when a)the model number was not on the list and b)no commands were sent from the Sony's remote!

This extra signal can also interfere with the actual IR commands making them unrecognizable to the components they were trying to control. Especially volume commands. It was more trouble , than useful. So turning off the signal, at least gives you sharper directv command, for learning remotes to learn.

I now see zero reason to ever leave them on. It's 963 channel down on every remote for me!

...Except maybe the RC7x remotes. Do they have this "feature"?
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse