Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 53 made on Sunday July 20, 2014 at 21:07
Anthony
Ultimate Member
May 2001
On July 20, 2014 at 18:55, Fins said...
IMO, this is a problem that will become bigger as more EVs are sold. I believe right now, there are some tax breaks to businesses for putting in a charging station. But right now, these are novelties. A business puts one in as a perk to customers, occasionally someone uses it. The business eats the cost, just like free refills. But when all of their customers have EVs, what business wants to put in twenty chargers and eat that electric bill?

I don't see it as a big issue. The problem is convenience vs reality.

Like Mario pointed out it takes a long time to charge add to that the minimal cost and it gets interesting . For example if it costs the business 2$/h for the car that is parked there the price of the electricity might easily be minor compared to the guy spending that time and his money.

I saw something that Israel is building battery stations, and experimenting with cars with swappable batteries. Kind of like the Blue Rhino propane ranks. Pull in, get a new battery, move on in 10 minutes. This would probably bring back the service station attendant.

don't know about Israel, but there are some plans like that in the US. [Link: teslamotors.com]

but I am not sold on this idea. A propane tank is a simple and cheap thing. A batter is not and there lies the issue in my opinion. What if the battery I swap in is not as good as the battery I swapped out. Look at all your rechargeable stuff, look at your car, batteries don't age well, batteries can be misused.

Hosting Services by ipHouse