The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 10 made on Monday February 18, 2013 at 09:47
BobL
Founding Member
March 2002
I'll give you a dealer's perspective. I think it is fine to leave it up to the dealer but it does get complicated. I did this several times in the past some time ago, before CCP and Total Control. I will say I would be reluctant to do it again and if I do it will be clear if you call for advice you will be charged.

Every person I had did this for and almost all were 'programmers' or IT guys I have had to spend at least an hour and some multiple hours going over stuff with them. Granted not at once. They would call and I'd explain something and take maybe 15-20 minutes with them. Then they call again and again and the pattern goes on. Plus enthusiasts tend to set up more complicated systems and have questions on how to integrate the technology not just use the software as Dale stated. I never charged anyone for this advice.

As a programmer you should know that you don't pick up a new programming language quickly. This stuff isn't rocket science but it does have a learning curve and the manuals are not always up to date. It is not always the consumers fault. Dealers have better resources for when they have questions but consumers have to use the dealer for support or come to forums like these.

Now it is an unusual position URC's policy puts the dealer. Nobody goes to a plumber, carpenter, mechanic, etc. and says I bought this from you, now can you tell me how to install it. Now that is what they do and they want to be paid for their service. Now, not everyone would need help but so far in my experience it has been 100% of the people we have given software to have needed some level of support. This is the position the dealer gets put in because customers expect support when they buy something software related.

It is up to the dealer to decide if he is going to give out the software and/or offer support. If a dealer is not willing to do this don't get offended and find another dealer that will. Dealers don't be rude if they ask just politely say no you don't do that. No need for for some of the ugliness that happens on some of these threads on both sides.

Hosting Services by ipHouse