The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 20 made on Tuesday May 10, 2011 at 17:04
JoeFlabitz
Select Member
December 2008
On May 10, 2011 at 11:53, jtreibick said...
FIXED THIS PROBLEM!

I just hung up with URC. Their technician was no help. $252 for a replacement they said. This will be the last URC remote I purchase... Too many quality issues.

That's a shame, the MX810 is now officially discontinued, otherwise they may have replaced it. The pin issue was resolved, however that seemed to be more of a usage issue more than anything. Unfortunately, they don't "fix"anything so you would have gotten a new one (if under warranty) or gotten a replacement (new) at a nominal charge if it was out of warranty (or purchased from an unauthorized source).

I did figure out a way (at least temporarily) to fix the issue however.

I stripped back a twist tie, like the kind that might be used for bread. I bent the end into a hook and stuck it in the charge port. I hooked the metal ground tab on the outside of the barrel and gently bent it back into position. The remote plug now makes sound contact--for now at least.

I am convinced URC does not do durability testing. I used to own a MX900 that keys wore out in 1.5 years. Like any manufacturer they should devise a machine to repeat key presses and connector insertions to simulate years of use.

Actually, they do that exact test you mentioned. The issue has nothing to do with the button push, rather the contact material under the keypad that contacts the circuit board. There have been numerous posts and repairs offered up. You should also contact either your rep or customer service at URC specific to MX900 button issues for resolution.

Also, I got quite a bit of attitude from their customer service, who cut me off in the middle of my explanation and said "Well if you jam it in there of course it will break!" I said this was a known issue and I have had no issue with my cell phone which I have plugged in every night for the past three years.

Remember, you are calling New York, speaking to a New Yorker, who speaks American...

Just curious, how do you suppose it got bent in the first place?

Great design.
Great feel
Great IR database
Great Software.

Crap reliability.

any suggestions for a new brand?

Hosting Services by ipHouse