The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 10 made on Friday February 25, 2011 at 14:57
hd fan
Long Time Member
March 2006
good question. you are relatively close to buffalo (i tried a cm4221HD at ground level 4-5 ft and got every major US netw, from mississauga) so the 4221 should fit you. It has double beamwitdh (45 degrees) of its syster 4228 (basically the same antenna horizontally stacked) but might give you problems with CTV once they switched back to VHF 9 where 4228 will have better gain at hi VHF frecuencies.

How many TVs? , If Only1kenoby (only 1, lol) then consider 4228/motor combination to be safe for ch 9 CFTO (there is also ch 7 WNGS now I think) and you could rotate it for DX pourposes.

If more than 1 TV (you mention a dist amp) then I would consider an omnidirectional solution (high gain antennas are highly directional , low beamwitdh) coupled with a pre-amp at the antenna (no rotor) (kind of UFO sold by radio shack). Or some kind of antenna that has a low front-back ratio (like a yagui with a 1 element reflector) so it will allow some signal coming from the back for long island and south buffalo ones while having enough gain from Toronto if pointed to CN tower (no rotor).

As you can see I probably gave you more questions than answers, a practical aproach would be to read more on forums from users who live in your city and their experiences or like a Cuban would do just walk around the neighborhood and politely ask the neighborgs who have outdoor antennas about their experiences.

Hosting Services by ipHouse