Pass:

Original thread:
Post 5 made on Friday October 15, 2010 at 02:36
Barry Gordon
Founding Member
August 2001
Try this link for sony codes:

[Link: hifi-remote.com]

Sony has a very regular format for IR transmissions. Like most manufacturers (NEC Being the other prime example) they were shortsighted and did not leave enough bits to specify all of the needed device codes as the A/V industry took off. For that reason and to maintaoin backwards compatiblity the have three code sets all of the same design with a different number of bits (12, 15,20) so that the device code field can be accomodated. The key code field is always the same size, 7 bits for 128 possible values. In the 12 bit code there are 5 bits for device code (32 possible devices, silly in retrospect). The 15 bit codes allows for 256 devices (still silly), where as the 20 bit code allowed for 2^13 devices (finally sanity). In Sony land the function (key) codes are standardized so 46 is always discrete power on if the device has such a function.

There is a fundamental IR paper that I wrote almost a decade ago that will shed a lot of light on the subject of IR as used by Philips in Pronto hex format. Search the files area of this site.

Text files with the extension IRP was originally developed by myself as a notation to describe IR protocols and had an accompanying program called GENIRDB that is very similar to MakeHex. GENIRDB could produce output for several IR transmitting devices including the Pronto, the Nirvis Slink, the Leopard and several others. John Fine and I eventually met in cyberspace and collaborated on the IRP notation and several changes were made. John then produced MakeHex and its companion programs and I decided I had enough with IR as there were several smart people dealing with it and it no longer was a black art.

The last thing I did was develop a small IR generator that takes in IRP (which unfortunately has too many dialects now) and produces Pronto Hex. A copy is on my web site. It can work with a USB-UIRT to test the generated codes (emit them as IR). I use the inards of that program in many of my applications where I generate IR on the fly.

Hosting Services by ipHouse