Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 4 made on Saturday May 29, 2010 at 19:30
brett_cgb
Lurking Member
May 2010
Summary:
EPG is dead, browser is obsolete, wireless access is obsolete.
What's left? Universal remote functions.

Full text:
I found a Pronto TSi6400 at a garage sale May 2010, bought it for $30.

I've been able to update the firmware, but only after figuring out that the Pronto does not understand DHCP (configured it for a static IP address), nor does it seem to understand WEP wireless security (disabled security at the router for a few days).

After the update, the Pronto required several restarts (back panel reset) before it started to function.

I'm wondering if my experiences so far have been "typical".

The EPG does not work (a message on the service page stated that EPG support was discontinued March 2010. I saw the post regarding Schedules Direct, but being able to use this source with the Pronto represents a significant hack to several devices (most of which are well beyond my capability).

The first alternative I thought of would be to use the browser to access the on-line guide Cox points to (Zap2it), but the browser chokes.

The browser "works", but only for simple web pages, is slow, and is generally not recognized/supported by the few web sites I visited. The Pronto runs out of memory before fully downloading the page, and the browser does not seem to be updatable (beyond the firmware update I was able to perform).

I downloaded a copy of the iCF editor, and we'll see how well the Pronto learns my remotes, and what can still be updated.

Hmmm....

I'm beginning to think that my netbook with some sort of IR adaptor could function as well or better than the Pronto as a universal remote. (Its not much bigger than the Pronto.)

Hosting Services by ipHouse