I hope you can guide me a bit.
1. I found a great deal on a Harmony 670 Remote and looked on the web to be sure that it would be able to control all of my devices, especially my Sony DVD Changer. All the devices claimed to be fully supported. I we enthusiastic. I bought the remote.
2. I went though the setup and added all the devices. All found and all understood. I was happy.
3. Then I setup the activities, and it just had power-on and play for the "Play a DVD" sequence. I was suspicious.
4. I tried it. It didn't work. It just turned on the DVD, which started playing the highest numbered DVD. I was annoyed, but optimistic.
5. So I went online to research a bit. I've looked through these forums and the ones at logitech. I have have learned a bit.
6. I learned from here that you can use the "media" button on the Harmony to have it browse a list of DVDs and play one on my "Sony DVP-CX995V" 400 DVD Changer. I was excited.
7. I learned how to format the .csv file and uploaded a list of titles to the Harmony software. I was smug.
8. I've learned from here that I can setup the device to "chose the dvd by number" by programming "Display" and "DirectionRight" before selection and "Select", "Display", and "Display" after the selection. And I learned how to do this in the setup tool. I was confident.
9. Then I couldn't find the "select" key in the commands list. I was concerned, but not daunted; I simply substituted "Enter".
10. Then I tried it, and it didn't work either. The Sony just started playing the highest number disk. I was dismayed.
11. Then I learned that my Harmony 670 doesn't have a "Media" Button and is one of only a few Harmony Remotes that don't list DVD titles. I was sad. ( See the forum post by EricHarmony from Logitech:[Link: forums.logitech.com]
12. Then I tried the sequence of keys above that was supposed to be able to simply play a preset DVD number: Stop, Display, Enter, ### (disk number), Enter, and Display. I played with this, but couldn't quite get it to work. I am still hopeful, as it seems that these commands for a 997 get close. Maybe Display, DirectionRight, ###, Enter, Display, pause, Display will work, as this seems to with the Sony remote.
So, now I am trying to figure out how to get the remote to control the somewhat clumsy "Disk Explorer" interface on the Sony DVP-CX995V 400 DVD with my Harmony 670.
13. My goal is to have the "Play a DVD" activity turn on the player and leave you in the Disk Explorer menus.
14. I have seen references to, but cannot find any details on how to "stop" the auto-play at power-on, so that you can go to the disk explorer. Maybe using the "eject" to open the player to stop auto-play. Not really sure how to to do this yet, even with the Sony Remote. Any ideas?
15. Does anybody have the keys or database that includes the "Folder" key. Does anybody know how to "learn" a function from my Sony remote into a "named" command that I can send as part of a startup sequence to the DVD player?
16. Maybe I cam train (learn) a key ( like "Guide" or "Info" ) to do the "Folder" button on the Sony remote and then use normal navigation keys to select and start the disk. At least then you could get to it once the previously selected DVD has started.
17. Has anybody actually accomplished item #8 above with any Harmony Remote and might at least send me the command sequence?
Thanks in advance for any help of guidance you can give on any of the above questions/statements.