The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 23 made on Sunday November 4, 2001 at 16:10
howie777
Founding Member
November 2001
I am a software engineer and use a remote in the product I'm working on. This is how we implement power buttons. We use ONE power IR code and the software "stores" its current state and reacts based on its current state. So if a power IR command is recieved and the system is on is simply shuts down the system. And if the system is off then it wakes up the system. Note: a TV is never without power until the plug is removed from the wall. It just draws enough power so it can turn on from a button press or remote command. So a lot of manufactures probably don't have descrete IR codes becuase of cost reasons. It is cheaper to have one power button then and on and off button. And companies are all about squeezing every penny out of a design. And having descrete codes that simple toggle between the two on one button will not work becuase a lot of people would return the product or remote saying it doesn't work all the time even though it really does work as intended. I'm all for descrete codes myself. And its not diffacult to include them in any product. Actually its mostly likely just software change anyway. Take complanies an extra 30 mins to add them and test them out. But in my experience most companies will consider those who want them to be the minority and not make the changes.

Well I hope Marantz listens, and I'll bring up descrete codes with the company I work with when they are at the office next time. I work with Philips remotes and they own Marantz as I'm sure you all know. Maybe I can dig up some descrete codes if they exists but I really doubt they do :-( And I do software for the automotive market, DVD systems to be exact. To bad I don't get to play with the pronto remotes... just gonna have to buy my own I guess..

Hosting Services by ipHouse