On June 1, 2008 at 17:07, OTAHD said...
Bingo. I'm not a CI, but I tried a Harmony once and it's
crap. Couldn't get the SW to let me do things the way
I wanted to do them, and the remote felt like it couldn't
survive a 4 foot fall.

Went to URC and never looked back.

All you people that think it's some kind of CI conspiracy...just
try programming a Harmony to operate the kind of systems
they are installing...you'll see why it doesn't work.
Even a mid-level theater often won't be fully functional
with one.

It's a great remote for replacing multiple OEM remotes.
Besides that, it can't do much.

I'd have to agree with a lot of the stuff OTADH said in this post. I came from the Jp1 world using an 8810. I tried 3 different harmony remotes (550, 676 and 880). I took all of them back as they just didn't do what I wanted, give me the programming flexibility I wanted nor did they do the activities consistently. The 880 was 10x the price of my 8810 but didn't provide the same programming flexibility. The LCD screen was a huge advantage, but I had a hard time reading it.

Build quality of all 3 harmony remotes did not seem to be good. That is, light weight, buttons sticking, poorly lay out (especially on 880), etc. I did look at a One and the layout and feel of the remote is much better than the ones I tried. I'm not convinced it is as solid as the URC remotes. I have a $20 URC R6 remote which feels solid even though I doubt it has the same build quality as the upper end URC remotes. A lot of this is personal preference of course and there is obviously many who are happy with their harmony remotes. IF you're happy with the remote then don't worry about those dissing it. It does what you want and that is all that matters in the end.

After trying the harmony remotes, I ended up buying an MX900 from an authorized dealer. It's the remote for me. I have more programming control over it and can make it do exactly what I want. very solid build quality too. It has survived spills, being tossed around, falls and looks brand new. Saying that, I don't think it's for everyone either. THere is a learning curve to set it up and it would frustrate many. obviously the reason it's aimed at custom installers for the most part.

oh, and I am aware of a number of custom installers that use Harmony remotes for their customers...and many that use URC, etc....

Hosting Services by ipHouse