The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 59 made on Thursday June 5, 2008 at 14:41
Jimmy Bellagio
Advanced Member
January 2008
Well Photodan, here I am. The name of this post is "Why are Harmony dissed by PROS". I myself am paid to professionally set up controlled lighting and high end A/V equipment. That means that it is a normal situation for me to receive customized requests from a client. "Can the unit sense if my garage door is opened at night and shut it down at 1AM" or, can my lights power on at 7:30PM, or can I have my A/V system do something based on what is actually happening vs what is SUPPOSED to be happening?

I resent you and Logitech guessing at what I am supposed to be doing and also trivializing what my clients ask for. Little things like RS-232, voltgage sensing, 2 way feedback, time based events, triggers, relays, "How about commands being stored in a processor rather than a remote?" These are some of the things that are nto advanced in the world of A/V. My end users pay thousands, sometimes hundreds of thousands for thier equipment. To finish off a system with a Harmony remote is the ultimate masacre in my mind. A customer's remote or touchpanel is more than just a way for him or her to control it - it's a reflection of personal preferences and care that an installer has put into customizing the experience for the user only. Not having the same piece of junk as Joe shmo up the block. Selecting genre menus, customized persaonal pictures on the remote, Room control, these are things that my customers want. I am not leaving them with something a geek at best buy could do by answering questions. I think I have easily demonstrated the flaws and disadvantages of these things. Oh, and by the way, calling me a child is not insulting at all. Children learn and are more accepting of change and use way more of their brain than an adult, especially an adult like you. Now I have provided you with examples of Logitech's shortcomings. Why don't you tell me how I can control my systems with a "Harmony"?

On June 2, 2008 at 16:55, Photodan said...
You know, I wrote a lengthy response to Vellagio and decided
against it. This guy is so inflexible, so full of vitriol,
that it would be pointless.

The bottom-line is (Damn! I am responding to his post!):

If 95% of the CI industry "hates Harmony remotes and what
they stand for," that statistic alone proves the point
of the "Pro Harmony" crowd. The industry hates competition.

And, Vellagio, saying "This stuff is for beginners, and
no offense to those of you who have AOL - the "AOL" of
remote controls. Someone who just wants to cotnrol a simple
setup without an ounce of thought." proves you speak often
without exercising an ounce of thought. Stop being childish
unless you are, in fact, a child.
James S. Bellagio

Hosting Services by ipHouse