Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 41 made on Wednesday June 4, 2008 at 17:05
smokinghot
August 2006
On June 4, 2008 at 12:36, hhatkin said...
He can, as oman says in #38 - because Harmonys don't
have power buttons it won't be called the power button,
but how important is its name? He can change it to anything
he likes anyway - all the better.

No he can't. I most likely didn't describe what he was trying to do properly. Regardless, this individual wanted to do something out of the norm and couldn't because of Logictech's wizard.

I don't mean to knock Harmonys. I think they are adequate remotes, gauged towards and marketed beautifully for the "joe six pack" niche, (which is the largest one). But when I see completely uneducated posts by people just spouting off, it just warrants a counter point so random RC users don't get mislead.

Even some claiming that "they do everything" is silly. Harmonys don't come remotely close, (pun intended). If someone wants to customize beyond a Harmony's capability, it shouldn't be considered fluff or over kill. Convenience was the whole point in buying a universal to begin with.

Why these threads get so out of hand are the severe reactions by both sides, CI and diy'er. Compared to what's out there, Harmonys are crap....plain and simple. They are very limited and cheaply built regardless what their owners want to think. CIs know this and are openly willing to share their opinions. Diy'ers get on the defensive. Which is understandable, know one wants to feel like a fool. But that's the problem. Don't be made to feel like a fool, because you made the right choice for you. But don't make yourself a fool by trying to pass off to others, and there by convincing yourself what you bought is the greatest thing going. Accept your choice, and be confident in it. The CIs and owners of more advanced remotes aren't wrong. They're just living at a different level in this regard.

I personally think buying a universal remote that's limited by wizard programming (harmony isn't the only one) is short sighted. But that's my opinion, and it isn't wrong. Just different than some.
....Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Hosting Services by ipHouse