Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 18 made on Sunday September 5, 2004 at 14:44
randy
Founding Member
August 2001
Impaqt,

No confussion on control. You missed the products that are indeed configured AND controlled by USB such as the Meridian G series (yes, they still have legacy also, they are just being a forward thinker and added the USB to their newest models, my entire point on asking what Yamaha was doing their latest with USB). Maybe the word "change" to USB should have been "added". That would be ideal for us, but with real estate short we may not have that luxury on many units.

The black box info on USB was what I thought you were asking for in your previous comment. Most of these are adapaters for I/O. I agree that if you are sending the commands over Etherenet then it is Ethernet control, regardless of how it gets into the final box.

Yes, the AMX is a memory stick with software and is their newest and easiest way to control a PC from a Modero. AMX supports a variety of ways to talk to PCs including their TPI, AXlink to COM adapter, etc.

On the Crestron, I know it is WiFi to and from the PRO2 to act as a touchscreen, but how are they doing the PC Control functions? If this is also wireless, how do you determine which you are controlling, the PRO2 or the PC? Also, FYI, according to their website, setup on BOTH the panel and the docking station is via USB...probably due the fact that ViewSonic makes it and they know legacy is going away!

Alan's point on TCP/IP is exactly why manufacturers will probably want to keep serial (RS232, USB or whatever) as their configuration/setup and update method of choice which is where many of our "control" abilities stem from (I contend most are not putting those interfaces their for us to use on AMX/Crestron, but rather to give them support capabilites via downloads).

Without creating another war, you and Alan MAY have missed my reason for posting in the first place, so let me restate it. Not to argue symantics or educate on serial. Again, I apologize for being defensive but since the thread has taken a bad turn, I don't want the point to get lost, so here is a summary (not an attack or correction of anyone!):

Because Notebook PCs are quickly losing legacy serial port support and I don't feel we can change that, I am calling for CE manufacturers to get up-to-date and either add or change to USB since it seems to be the most viable at this time.

Are there other solutions? Sure, like make better adapters and that should be a solution to support older products, not new ones. In the mean time, we must use adapters that give quirks and cost us time to reboot, pray or whatever. Wouldn't you like your manufacturers to support you in this issue and save you time and money?

As an analogy, wouldn't it be dumb for GM or Ford to continue making cars that required leaded gasoline (legacy ports) when they new the gas stations (PCs) wouldn't have it available anymore? Sure, you can buy an additive (adapter) and HOPE you mix it well enough to work ALL of the time...but when it doesn't (compatibility issues) and your valves burn (wasted time) who is going to pick up the bill?

oex,

Thanks for the post as you meant it to be...letting us know about a feature on a new product. I am not a Yamaha dealer but I am glad to see more and more responding to the needs of custom installers. I switched to Integra from Marantz to support a company that was supporting us (even their $350 DVD player has both rear IR and a legacy DB9, and yes, they are looking into the legacy port problem and looking at USB).

Randy

Hosting Services by ipHouse