The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 17 made on Friday February 13, 2009 at 07:35
kmlingenfelter
Long Time Member
December 2008
Neodigits DVD player is not blue ray compatible. It simply ignores DVD copy protection code found in some older format DVD's (e.g. Hunt for Red October). These DVD's will not play at 480p or any other upconverted resolutions on "Sony Licensed" up converting DVD players. Thus you can up convert these older DVD's and enjoy them at higher resolution. I will not get into an argument over whether this higher resolution makes the picture any better. My old 80” Mitsubishi HDTV will only sync on 1080i on the HD input so the Neodigits player was my only option.

For Blue Ray DVD's, the poor souls who have older HDTV's without HDMI (like me) must use the HDFury. It sees the Copy Protection Code (HDCP software) and handshakes with the Blue Ray player so it will think it's sending video to a Sony licensed "Display Device". The HDFury accepts the video on the HDMI cable, sends back the handshake and then outputs the video in Component format (Y, Cr, Cb), the well known red green blue cables. You can plug the HDFury into your old component HDTV and see HDCP protected Blue Ray DVD’s at native resolution that otherwise will be down converted to 480i.

And for those who might be concerned all this is perfectly legal. If anyone wants to know why, I’ll post the reasons in another thread.

Hosting Services by ipHouse