The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 11 made on Thursday April 29, 1999 at 18:14
Brian
Historic Forum Post

OneForAll URC-8080 and URC-8090

The URC-8080 and the URC-8090 are multifunction universal remotes. These are not learning remotes, but instead are marketed as upgradeable remotes. Both of these remotes are functionally equivalent being differentiated by the fact that the URC-8090 has an RF transmitter that allows the control of devices through walls. The remote itself has all of the basic buttons and features, an LCD display with the current mode and the time; the ability to program timed macros and the ability to define permanent macros. The remote has an eerie blue backlighting that is pretty cool, but produces a high pitched whine probably much like the Pronto.

Setup of the remote is straightforward initially. Simply choose your device number from the list of known devices and hit the power button to see if the device is powered on or off. More difficult is to customize the default behavior of the buttons. This requires the use of advanced function codes that must be ordered through the company. The manual, while complete, is badly formatted which makes it hard to follow when looking back and forth from the remote to the manual. The manual is updated via the OneForAll web site.

You can control up to eight devices with this remote. The remote has an additional ninth mode call Home Theater mode. To set up the remote so that this mode works correctly, one simply informs it which of the other devices you want to operate functions like audio control, channel control, playback control and cursor control. A macro can be assigned to the power button so that all of the appropriate devices are powered on or off with a single button. This is the kind of feature that allows the wife to use the remote and operate the home theater.

Through the key mover functionality, you can assign a key in one mode to a key in another mode. This allows one to allow your amplifier's volume controls to work while in CD mode (a "VOL LOCK" feature can be used to tell the remote to use the AMP volume controls in TV, CBL, VCR and SAT modes). Related is a "Mode Mover" feature that copies an entire setup from one mode to another.

The layout of the buttons is fairly aesthetic and usable. The "Shift" key for accessing secondary button functionality is a long ways from some of the buttons (like the VCR Stop button "Shift-STOP=Eject"). However, there are not very many spare buttons to use, making you struggle with what button to use for the DVD function "Angle" so that you (or your wife) will remember it later. This lack of buttons may be preferable to you over a remote that has a 9x20 matrix of buttons. The number and the VCR buttons are shaped such that they are easily found by touch.

Macros can be assigned to unassigned (or unused) buttons. You can't create a "shifted" button macro, but you can overload a button (that has no "shifted" function) using the "magic" button. You can create a timed macro that is handy for recording off from a cable box or a satellite receiver. Additionally, the remote will perform "Sleep" functionality for you by performing the Power function in Home Theater mode.

The equipment I have is a Samsung TV, Hitachi VCR, a Zenith Cable Box, Pioneer AMP/Tuner, Pioneer CD Changer and a Pioneer DV-414 DVD Player. All of the equipment was usable using with the remote. However, some features of the original remotes were not available. This requires one to go the OneForAll web site and order advanced function codes that correspond to your equipment. The web site has a form for one to enter information about your equipment. However, instead of supplying you the information right away from a database, you have to wait until a support technician gets around to sending you the information.

After 5 days of waiting, I finally received advanced functions codes for all of my devices. Applying the advanced functions is fairly easy, but is very boring if you are adding several functions all at the same time.

Since this is not a learning remote, I found that the remote did not know how to operate my DVD player's cursor functions. After a few e-mails to tech support it was decided that I needed to upgrade the remote. The upgrade procedure involved obtaining a TAG# from support and then sending the remote to Universal Electronics with a brief letter specifying what needed to be done. The turnaround on this was a disappointing two weeks (I sent via USPS Priority mail, it was sent back via First Class).

After I received my upgraded remote, I tried to get the cursor keys for the DVD player working. The cursor keys were still mapped wrong, which meant asking for another set of advanced function codes. Thankfully, this only took one day to receive and they actually worked. I was finally able to get my DVD player working correctly.

The RF capability of the URC-8090 is very nice. Being able to use the remote without pointing is something that doesn't take long to get used to. The range is about 50-70 ft (100 ft under optimal conditions) and will not operate RF devices. Additionally, when a timed macro runs, you don't have to be careful that the remote is pointed at the devices. The manual warns that you may have troubles when using the remote and the RF unit at the same time. I have not had any trouble with double signals being sent to my equipment from the remote and the base station.

The remote is not supposed to remember anything if the batteries are removed, so it is recommended that you document the device number, key assignments and macros. However, I did remove the batteries on purpose as a test recently. All of my devices were remembered, but various key setup and macros were forgotten.

While this remote does not have the complete customizability of a Philips Pronto, nor a learning capability, it is a good remote and does offer some good feature for the price. The best price I have found on this remote was through Home Automation Systems, Inc. which offers free shipping and handling very often.

Hosting Services by ipHouse