The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 28 made on Thursday April 9, 2020 at 15:45
SWFLMike
Long Time Member
January 2007
On April 9, 2020 at 13:45, drewski300 said...
You know the pros and cons of RTI. They are a much better single room solution than an automation/control system. Can they do automation? 100% For us we moved to ProControl instead of RTI for homes without automation. I think we love and push automation but most homeowners don't care nearly as much as we do....

Savant is a very reliable product. The only issues we've had in the past few years were their gray remote and the first gen of their latest remote. I don't know if that has been fixed with their new "Pro" remote. Programming can be done fairly quickly system wide and the UI is great! I really like Savant. However, here are my negatives:
-Entry cost is fairly expensive.
-The software is a beast. A LOT of nooks and crannys to get lost in and forget how to do something. They don't even have a consistent place where macros live. WTF? If you don't program in Savant often, you will forget all of the little things required to create automation. Simple remote control of equipment is however fairly easy.
-Very little customization. For most this isn't a negative including myself.
-Licensing for number of rooms, devices, loads are stupid. I know a lot of companies implement this but it blows when you price out a job for 12 rooms and then you need to add one more room. Oh, that requires a different license which is stupid expensive. I have no idea where they are at with numbers but it was that way 2 years ago (when I was specing it).
-Compatibility between software, firmware, etc is a nightmare. Evening trying to find a document to know what is compatible with what version of MacOS isn't easy. It SUCKS. I literally have a MacMini sitting in our showroom rack. I went to upgrade it a year ago and we were told that the latest software won't work with the MacMini. So you will need to buy a new one at thousands of dollars. Doah-k. Also good luck with MacOS. You will likely need a MacBook that has 3 or 4 versions of MacOS to program different systems.
-Their profiles frankly suck. There are thousands of devices but most profiles are incomplete.
-They seemed to be focused on adding BS product lines more than fixing their cluggy programming environment.
-Do not update software unless it is critical or you need to add a feature that wasn't there before. You will get out to the site, have to update profiles, update MacOS, update firmware on the host, generate services, OMG I'm getting anxiety just typing this.

I will repeat Savant products are great for the customer because they are fairly bulletproof and it give the customer a sexy UI! But damn it's a challenge being on the dealer side.

Great post! My experience with them is very similar. Happy to not be working with that stuff anymore.

Hosting Services by ipHouse