Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 19 made on Wednesday July 18, 2018 at 10:59
SB Smarthomes
July 2007
On July 18, 2018 at 00:31, Ernie Gilman said...
Rust. How many years is this good for?

The metal vac pipe is also available in stainless steel, but when I spoke to the supplier some time ago they recommended against using any type of metal pipe for this application so looks like it will be some type of PVC.

Unless the concrete pour crushes it, then you won't be able to use it.

Small diameter smurf (1/2") is quite rigid and won't be crushed.  The vac pipe and low volt conduit won't be in the slab itself but will down below it in what is usually compacted sand.  I"ll probably go ahead and pull the wire through the conduit at rough in so it's already in place.

Do what you're good at. You're asking for basic information and you're hoping it will work. This is NOT a predictor of success. Tell the contractor you're not good enough with central vac to do this particular house and you -- or better yet he -- needs to find someone who will do it.

If he locates companies that won't do it, that should strengthen your position that it IS A BIG DAMN DEAL that can go very badly. Don't do it yourself.

Dang Ernie, thanks for the lack of confidence... figuring out hard to do stuff that no one else can or wants to do is what I'm good at.  The architect, builder & clients are all aware that I've never done this before.  The builder and architect both have confidence in me from past work and wanted me to be the one to do this.

The builder and every trade involved are all doing something they've never done before on this job.  It's very complex and highly engineered... over two years in planning and design and will be 3+ years in construction.  The plan set exceeds 300 pages right now.
www.sbsmarthomes.com
Santa Barbara Smarthomes

Hosting Services by ipHouse