Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 60 made on Thursday January 7, 2016 at 11:21
sirroundsound
November 2003
"Bill the client for the work you do"

I think that sums it all up.

From all the treads over the years that end up going back and forth about "the code" the one thing I think I understand is this -

In commercial systems using Crestron or AMX, the clients typically will have or have access to the code required. Mostly because they have paid (often a lot of $$) for it. Thus they have been billed for the work that was done. Much like a large software company employs lots of programmers to create new software they can sell, the programmers do not "own" the software as they have been paid for their work.

In a lot of residential projects, the project would probably be lost if the true costs of programming were actually billed to the client. So programmers spend countless hours creating GUI's and modules or drivers to operate and control equipment, that the client is not paying for the time to build, just the right to use. That build time does eventually get paid because these modules typically do get used in more than one project. But.. they remain the property of the person that created them.

The big stink about all this comes from the fact that too many high end clients out there own wonderful systems, but the whole who owns the code, or even what the heck does "the code" mean to them gets glossed over during the sale It becomes a huge issue when someone goes out of business or gets robbed of their laptop and computers and has no back up and the client wants changes made or has sold his house without any understanding about any of this.

If you took a survey of 500 home owners that have Crestron systems, and explained to them what the code is and why it is needed, I wonder what the percentages would be?
That have the code,
That understand about the code and are aware that their integration firm / programmer is keeping for them,
Have no idea what you are talking about and the moment you leave will be on the phone with their integrator or worse... Lawyer

Hosting Services by ipHouse