The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 22 made on Monday January 4, 2016 at 21:13
tweeterguy
Loyal Member
June 2005
On January 4, 2016 at 20:55, simoneales said...
Speaking for myself, i would never in a million years agree to spend a fortune on something like Crestron programming if there was any chance at all that i might be asked to pay another fortune to make minor changes later for any reason. I'll bet my right nut that none of the programmers that refuse to give out source code would allow themselves to be put in that unreasonable position either. That whole line about "they paid for, and received a one off system" is pure bullshit unless they explain to their clients the possible ramifications before they take on the job. I wonder how many of those programmers tell their customer that no-one except them will ever be able to work on the system and it's just bad luck if i go out of business or move, or die. Because if i do you will need to spend 50k if you want to make the tiniest change to the system.

Anyone???

Thought not.

Agreed. It's a poor business model perpetuated by narcissistic, often unskilled and unethical business owners. They think what they do is life changing or so unique that the world should worship their work. They also fear that the competition could steal their work...typically because they know they suck and will either abandon the project or be fired at some point in time in the very near future; and then the competition has to take over their mess.

Poor installations and results occur with all platforms whether it be AMX, Crestron, C4, URC, RTI or the electricians brother in-law who does Harmony on the side. Shitty work is abound in all areas, no matter what the control system of choice is.

Be ethical; provide the code and configuration files at the end of the project. Put it in your contracts that you will be doing so and charge accordingly for your service. Store it on the processor, put a USB drive and CD in the back of the rack and/or with the system documentation...and provide another copy to the client to put in their safe or with their attorney or trustee.

Hosting Services by ipHouse