The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 16 made on Tuesday April 1, 2014 at 09:44
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On April 1, 2014 at 07:11, Cubitus said...
This is EXACTLY what my customer want.

Yeah, it seemed kind of outrageous to take your initial statement to the effect that "the volume needs to be controlled" and convert it to "we want something that will change the volume in response to conditions changing." You want to lead the elephant. The other suggestion is that they hire someone to follow the elephant with a pooper scooper.

The main rack is located at the 2nd floor of another building, the tubing going to the area I want to work is 1/2", because the Genius who stole me the job figured out that if only one run of 16/2 was required for his poor design, than nobody would ever need to pull something else in that tubing...

As I pointed out, that 16/2 can be used for a signal to go to the volume control location, which, because of poor design and a desire for a low bottom line, can no longer just be a volume control location.

Of course if I was able to run wires then I could easily convert the install to 8 ohms and do whatever I want, but I can't...

There's only one thing that makes me think 8 ohms should even be considered, and that is the remote control aspect. I totally advise against it if you're going to consider having one brute amp where the one amp is now! Look at [Link: remotecentral.com] to get an idea of the losses involved. Be sure to actually open the pdf. I think the figures in that post are for an only 25 foot long run!

But it seems others here know of 70 volt stuff that will do what's needed. Learn more about 70 volt.

The funniest thing about it is that same Genius sold (8) 6-zones amps, and every one of them is running 1 output to 8 different areas where he installed the volume controls to sub-divide every zones. He could have sold 2 amps and get the same results...

...So... there's this one installation that has one amp going to eleven zones, and a different installation with 48 zones? Please give us more info, as that fact all by itself makes me think I did not understand the threar up to now.

However, thank you 3PedalMINI, vwpower44, Lowhz and all others. Great ideas that worth a closer look...

Yeah, they go in my book!
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse