Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 117 made on Wednesday February 13, 2013 at 13:47
Audiophiliac
August 2006
There has been a lot of chatter about the lack of DTS support, and how do you get 5.1 if your TV sends only 2 ch. PCM out its toslink output. The main thing I want to know is what kind of surround processing are they are using to create a 5.1 signal out of the 2 ch. incoming signal. Are they using DPLII? Something proprietary? Are are you stuck listening in 2 ch. stereo, regardless of whether you have the PLAY:3 connected as surrounds?

Obviously this product is designed for SONOS customers who want better sound than what comes stock in their flat panel TV AND want to be able to have a SONOS zone in the same location. This, it will accomplish, and probably very well. It is not meant as a replacement for an AVR, an LCR soundbar, a subwoofer, and surround speakers. It should, however sound better than most other powered soundbar options, especially in the same price range.

I did find out why the CONNECT:AMP is not supported for surround applications with the playbar. Apparently they use the 5GHz band for that....and the playbar, SUB, and PLAY:3 are the only SONOS products with a 5GHz radio. Now, my question is would it work ok if you had the CONNECT:AMP hardwired with ethernet? Of course then they have to issue a disclaimer and likely answer tech support calls about how someone who cannot read well thought they could use the CONNECT:AMP wirelessly. :) But surely it is possible.

I just want to hear it on the wall above and below a TV to see how the angled baffle works. They are not the first to use "odd" speaker angles to create sound. Mirage comes to mind. There are lots of others, so we should not count it as a folly just yet. :)

I plan to get one and mount it on my wall with a power outlet behind it as per code. :P Just to say I did it once. Bwahahaha!!
"When I eat, it is the food that is scared." - Ron Swanson

Hosting Services by ipHouse