Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 30 made on Thursday December 13, 2012 at 10:32
Audible Solutions
March 2004
On 1355354252, amirm said...| Just to give you a short version, typical Netflix stream runs at just 2.5 mbit/sec. Compare this to peak of 48 mbit/sec for BD and essentially infinite if you used a hard disk for playback.

Yes, the long download time up front is not good. I think it is a psychological problem for customers. I think they should allow instant streaming option at the same time. The UV support might give them this. The pre-download option might be even better (activate when the movie is officially released).

I doubt that anyone will chase you ever. But they are always chasing Slysoft. There are instances of MKB/BD+ updates that make that software not work for a bit of time. This again is unacceptable to high-end customers.

I agree K needs a viable new strategy. They face significant risks moving forward. They need to bring out a compelling digital service that is differentiated. They have taken a small to medium step here. They need to take a few more :).

I can imagine 2 options around these issues for K customers. First, K already has existing data on the content owned by and installed on a K system. They could use a "Tivo-like" algorithm to download suggested content on to a client's system.
They could transparently download quite a few films onto a system but keep them hidden till one selects them from their store. Thus, access to high end content could be achieved without those long waits.

Ultra-Violet is reported ( so I have heard ) to offer its customers new released theatrical content a few weeks after that film has its theatrical release. What if K* transparently downloaded those titles on to their system and the client would go and purchase it to view. Thus it's just a key to unlock and once unlocked it was available for immediate viewing.

High quality seemingly available for immediate use? Ultra-Violet is carriage trade only but it might be what a K customer would want. iTunes downloads for free various songs on to my phone as a marketing tool. It's transparent. It's just there. If these downloads just showed up and only needed to be unlocked it might get around some of the issues you've outlined.
"This is a Christian Country,Charlie,founded on Christian values...when you can't put a nativiy scene in front fire house at Christmas time in Nacogdoches Township, something's gone terribly wrong"

Hosting Services by ipHouse