The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 27 made on Wednesday December 12, 2012 at 17:19
cjoneill
Select Member
December 2002
On December 12, 2012 at 14:48, bcf1963 said...
I just don't see the allure of KScape...

First the service is in "Beta" and is offering SD quality at this time. They intend to offer Blu-Ray in the future. So the promise of quality is only a future capability, and not something they offer right now.

Second the downloads are going to take a long time. Even if you have available a smokin fast connection, the speeds will likely be throttled by their servers. Then the issue of bandwidth caps will become a real issue.

Third, since this is a full download, I assume I'll be forced to sit through the endless trailers and legal notices just like on a BD disk. This drives me up the wall with the BD disks.

I have a solution that works for me today, at a fraction of the cost. The problem, is that it is technically illegal. I use MyMovies with AnyDVD HD. I have an optical drive attached to my Home Server, and ripping a movie involves sticking a disk in the drive, and walking away. This rip takes 10-15 minutes... much less time than the download will take Kscape, and at the end I won't have to sit through trailers, as I've configured AnyDVD to rip only the movie and the audio my system needs.

I don't feel bad about doing this. I'm buying the movies, and therefore supporting the people that make them. I doubt any company would ever want to take me to court, as what would they claim as how they were damaged? I bought the movie, and have a right to use it. I is only on my home server, and used by one system at a time, just like the disk.

I understand why the pros here cannot offer a system like this, but that fact doesn't make Kscape compelling.

I think this is an effort by a company in their Death Throes to do what they need to in order to stay alive. Unfortunately, I think it will be too little, too late.

The allure is that it is legal and it works.. all the time. If I had the cash, I would probably go this way. If I had even more cash, I would probably get one of those services where Hollywood ships you new movies on a hard drive :)

Also, in your time evaluation, did you include the time needed to actually get the movie before you ripped it?

CJ
I'm not a pro

Hosting Services by ipHouse