The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 26 made on Tuesday January 4, 2011 at 14:33
charris
Advanced Member
March 2006
On January 4, 2011 at 11:52, chicagoinstaller said...
I had a system in my old home with the older Media Controller and 3 remotes, and a thermostat and a couple of switches working...PERFECTLY on the WRT54GS

Maybe since I ran aftermarket firmware on the router,
maybe it was the right size system,
but either way it worked.....

A few factors on router choice
1. The size of the system.
2. How reliable you want it to be.

I had 1-2 resets in the last year but I blame that on an old media controller.

The apple airport extreme has been my go to choice for the C4 systems.

CI

Look there are probably many c4 installations that work fine with that router. And I am sure there are some massive AMX/Crestron installations that also work fine and they use that router. Is it good practice? No.

Our business is getting more and more complicated especially on the control and the media distribution sectors. A lot of things can go wrong and troubleshooting is very imponrtant. Trying to eliminate a few factors of failures and make troubleshooting easier by using good quality networking gear is a no brainer any more.

Expanding on networking: as everything now has an ethernet port and everything resides on the same network it will be very soon that we will be needing VLANS on almost every project we do. I know a lot of CIs already deploy VLANS in some of their big system but in the next few years the need will be bigger and we will need more network oriented guys working in our companies.

Hosting Services by ipHouse