The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 26 made on Saturday September 25, 2010 at 01:27
39 Cent Stamp
Elite Member
May 2007
On September 25, 2010 at 01:01, Acamp76144 said...
As an end user who's been checking out the Market for a few months one thing that has put me off the prodigy system was the crappy looking small touch panels. Any idea what price the next size up of wall panel is (say a 6 or 8 inch display) from the main line of Crestron as I could access this now with a pmc3 xp.

Is it viable to Have wall mounted ipads as an alternative or do u need hard buttons? They should have brought out a wall mount for the new hard button iPad controller too I would have thought- don't really like the look of the new portable 6" touchscreen vs an iPad.

The video above has a prodigy in-wall dock for the ipad. IMO hard buttons are not required when you have a10" in-wall panel. You have plenty of space to customize the UI. Hard buttons are handy for a wi-fi panel because its nice to not have to look at the panel each time you want to channel up or adjust volume or navigate the guide.

Adms doesn't seem to do much more than what a mac mini with plex will do for me- I take it I could just add this as an input into the hd matrix?

Plex will not integrate into your crestron UI. Do you care? We are in a transitional period where HTPC's and mac minis are starting to compete with high end products. With the iPad and crestron mobile you could leave one app to use the other to have control over both. My advice to you would be if the mac mini and plex is good enough for you then you dont need ADMS. I have a client right now that is more excited about an airport as a stereo audio source then they are about their kaliedescape system. Every client is different. Other clients would kill me if i told them they have to press the airport icon then launch the remote app then make sure their mac mini is on and itunes is running.

Finally, one thing still missing is access to spotify or napster. I was planning on adding a sonos zp90 as an input to get around this. Would just switch to the iPad app for control. Does this sound viable?

Thanks in advance

You would basically have a source button called SONOS. When pressed it would turn the audio zone on. Then you would leave the crestron mobile app and launch the sonos app to control it.

Is this acceptable to you? Yes? Are you sure? I ask you again because its easy to assume you wont mind but once your actually using it your opinion might change. Todays cool feature thats totally worth waiting for and dealing with 2 apps is tomorrows never ending frustration.

The next 6-12 months all of this multiple app half way control will end i think. Keep your eyes on the space. Now that the iPad is here more and more control systems and 2way products like sonos will beging to be integrated more easily. There are already sonos crestron modules. [Link: forums.sonos.com] Not sure where they are with it though.
Avid Stamp Collector - I really love 39 Cent Stamps

Hosting Services by ipHouse