The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 58 made on Sunday March 7, 2010 at 16:37
twil01
Long Time Member
January 2009
Not a fan, but I do buy off eBay at times. However, I have only bought new products and I try to purchase mainly from power-sellers with loads of ratings close to 100% positive. I am not after the cheapest deal, rather the one I feel I can trust the most.

As I mentioned above, I live in a country with few authorized dealers (I have located one or two in the meantime). I trust my ability to program the remote control myself. I do not, however, trust that if I buy from one of these dealers that they will be there for me when I need help or have questions with the programing itself...and why would they given that the business model actually looks for this being provided as a service (i.e. chargeable).

If I needed someone to program the remote for me, then I wouldn't be buying a remote control, rather I would be buying a solution...and for this I would need a long term relationship with a custom installer since I periodically add and/or replace equipment that would necessitate re-programing. But that only really works when you have someone close to your home with the appropriate capabilities (...and you can afford it).

What's left really is the warranty issue in case of a technical problem. That is an issue, no doubt. For me, however, it is the only real issue as this is the only "support" I require.

So, the question becomes: should these remote controls only be reserved for the ones lucky enough to have a CI close by and with the required funds to procure programing/periodic re-programing services? Or is there a place for the DIY types who actually only want the device and potentially require a warranty claim to be taken care of should the remote break down within the warranty period...

This is why I can understand why some people buy these remotes off eBay. If all they are after is the remote itself, and they have the ability to program the device itself...then why not? Many of these people would not necessarily purchase the remote otherwise since the price point may not work for them. But does this really kill the CI market?

Having said that, I did not buy my TV, Surround system etc. on eBay, nor over the internet. Why? For the simple reason that I wanted to be able to talk to someone, get advice, listen to the equipment etc. I was willing to pay premium for that experience...but I am not sure I really need that for a remote control...

Hosting Services by ipHouse