The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 43 made on Saturday September 12, 2009 at 01:03
39 Cent Stamp
Elite Member
May 2007
A project that requires Homeworks today can be done with something less expensive tomorrow. I have configured many Homeworks systems that have very very simple programming. The only reason the client was quoted Homeworks is because its rock solid and because of scalability. If i can find a product thats just as reliable at a lower cost then i will be able to sell more lighting systems.

I remember when we spec'd Crestron ST-1500's & ST-CP's because they were the only rock solid customizable 1 room solutions. Today you can put in an MX-450 and have reliable control.

The only thing we can do is continue to learn and grow and be able to provide something better than the new guy. When they new guy jacks an install up, pull out your T&M notebook and get ready to earn a lot of money in labor for products you are not responsible for.

Show your potential clients examples of your work & documentation & GUI if your using a control system and let them decide if they want the best or not. Nothing has changed.. thats what we/they do now.

If RadioRa2 kills Homeworks... at least the sales go to Lutron.

^^^ Thats how i would be thinking about things if i just signed off on RadioRa2. Why let another company own this new market? Homeworks will either get a bunch of new products features or vanish over the next few years.

Look at Crestron. They just released an entry level product (prodigy). Does that ruin their current business model? No. It addresses the ever changing market. When is the last time you thought of URC or RTI as simple universal remote controls? They are both on their way to becoming full blown control systems and they already win projects that have Crestron/AMX/Control4 spec'd by other dealers. And it doesn't mean Crestron is taking a step back.. they have Digital Media and World Search and a brand new line of touchpanels (some here some on the way).

My first job was working for a guy who only wanted to sell products that would let him be the exclusive dealer in our area. Guess how many reps/ manufacturers went a long with that? Not very many. He spends his life frustrated about something he cant control when he should be focused on becoming the best in our area. Given his situation in our industry... being there at the right time.. doing custom installation 30 years ago and a Crestron dealer for 20.. he should own our market but he doesn't.

We have to stay focused on reality and "make it work".
Avid Stamp Collector - I really love 39 Cent Stamps

Hosting Services by ipHouse