The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 5 made on Saturday September 5, 2009 at 09:26
hd fan
Long Time Member
March 2006
try tvfool.com , we canadians can use our coordinates to get the info we need as it only works with US Zip Codes. also www.antennaweb.com has a lot of info.

yes higher is better with UHF signals so if you can locate the antenna higher try that too. you might be a victim of strong multipath interference or distortion due to reflections from nearby objects (buildings , trees and other high structures) and that could account for non canadian reception specially since you mention you can only get CBC on bad weather. good weather means stronger reflected signals for you therefore multipath will kill your reception.

Channel Master has a lot of prestige in the industry over the years , their antennas are solid mechanically and well built , I highly recommend it but like I said what matters is that the antenna is built to specs , you can even build it yourself. BTW the 8 bay channel master not only comes with the proper matching or connecting device but it is also already assembled into the antenna itself to avoid the end user making the mistake of not properly attaching it.

Oh well , I just re-read my previous post and noticed all the grammar errors!!! , I can barely understand it myself , lol.

You might want to consider a rotor for the final set up since they are 90 degrees apart and this antenna does not have a 90 degrees side lob. And you can also sell the spare antenna to cover the cost of the rotor, lol.

The percentage in the link quality of the converter does not necessarilly means is a percentage of the level of the signal received. I acctually do not know exactly what it is in your converter but in most digital tuners or receivers (including satellite receivers) is either a combination of level/BER or just BER. BER stands for Bit Error Ratio and refers to the amount of bit errors received in the bitstream. well 95 % is actually the inverse BER since BER was 5 % but the inverse BER better reflects the quality of the digital link for an average user. the higher the number the better , but with digital signals , signal levels could increase while the noise (noise being anything other that the intended signal , so an adjacent tv station or even a far away station in the same channel are also noise) increasing too therefore BER or quality could stay fairly the same.

What I am trying to say is that with the 1 antenna set up even if signal levels increased other factors such as multipath could keep the quality of the link low so you wont notice a difference (S/N ratio or the ratio between signal and noise levels determines the ability of the receiver to decode the bits properly or not). Remeber the theoretical gain of a stacked antenna is 3 dB (equals double the power level) with practical results being from 2.5 to 2.9 and this is only obtained if done properly !!!. the stacking direction , vertical or hortizontal , decreases the beam width of the same direction while keeping the other direction beamwidth the same for horizontal polarized antennas like the ones we use for TV reception.

If I were you I would install one 4 bay as high to clear objects in the way with also a rotor and enjoy all the free dtv programming available in your area. Keep the cable runs as short as possible and use RG-6 coaxial cable to minimize losses.

Hosting Services by ipHouse