The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 2 made on Friday September 4, 2009 at 18:58
hd fan
Long Time Member
March 2006
As per your description I understand that you are acctually combining the 2 antennas , 25 ft away from them with that phillips splitter?. If this is the case then you better check the documentation of the antenna. They are supposed to be combined with their own "device" that has to be located at the antenna and with both feeder the same lenght to guarantee both signals get to the antenna in phase not out phase. This is a big issue in your set up by the way, although it does not account for the lack of Canadian stations reception.

As per your diagram Buffalo and CN tower transmitters are 90 degrees apart therefore you might need either a rotor or even better to aim the antenna somewhere between the 2 directions to increase canadian reception while decreasing a bit the buffalo ones , there most be a sweet spot that acomplish this for the most part of the stations.

As per the charts on this forum you will see that our canadian stations are transmitter at vere very very low power , at least until the swith over in August 2010 or 2011.

Higher is always better in this cases , well not always , as there are also "silence zones" or places where the signal level decreases due to reflections from nearby objects , trial an error your best freind to find the sweet spots vertically.

Brands are not the chicken of the rice chicken dinner but as per your picture and the fact that apparently the manufacturer does not supply nor indicates the correct location or placement of the matching or connecting device , says a lot of the non profesional quality of such antenna. In any case if they built it to the specs then it should work no matter who built it.

In my opinion an 8 bay for Clarkson is an over kill , I live in bloor and cawthra
and 4 bay channel master did the job pretty well bu tI had to find the swwet spot between the 2 directions to get the canadians reliably while keeping the most buffalo ones.

the connectors outside should be snap and seal (one is not as i can see) to better protect from the weather. you should also use weather boots on all of them.

the theoretical gain of a combined antenna is 3 db using the proper "device"that the antenna manufacturer should have supplied to you. a regular splitter like the one in your picture introduces a 3 db insertion loss on the trensmition line (read coaxial cable running in to the house).

BTW , Welcome to the forum. I am sure other users will chime in to help you.

If I were you I will try only one section of the antenna (using both like that acctually decreases the horizontal beam width and no need for the splitter/combiner) and you will be amazed of the results.

Hosting Services by ipHouse