Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 7 made on Saturday October 16, 1999 at 10:40
Ron Brinksma
Historic Forum Post
There is no such thing as a perfect product. I found that for me the pros outnumber the cons. I think the Pronto/RC5000 simply is the best (touchscreen) remote money can buy. But anyone is entitled to his/her own opinion. I used to have a Sony RM-TP501 which also has a touchscreen. Boy, was I happy to get rid of that piece of junk when the Pronto/RC5000 arrived! You actually needed both hands, both feet, a magnifying-glass and a lot of money (4 AA batteries every other week!) to use the device not to mention the very dim display even with the backlight on.

The Pronto not as convenient as a hard keypad remote? I don't want to remember what keys I've put my device commands under. Also, a 'normal' learning remote is always missing a few keys or just has too many unused keys for a particular device. At least a touchscreen remote like the pronto gives us the ability to show the keys howy we want and where we want.
I agree with Dale, though, that the Pronto simply is not suitable for every consumer. But a lot of these consumers probably don't want to spend big bucks for a remote anyway.

I also agree with a lot of people who say the Pronto and PE software should be easier to use and lack important features. But hey, it's an evolving product that can become better with the input of the users.
So, Philips listen to your customers. Remember Video 2000 and DCC (did they ever introduce this in the US?) which were both brilliant and innovative products but got pushed out of the market mainly because of bad marketing.

One final thing about the Pronto (something Dale has mentioned as well, I believe): it would be greatly appreciated if we're able to customize the entire touchscreen!

Cheers,
Ron

Hosting Services by ipHouse