The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 6 made on Saturday October 16, 1999 at 09:49
Rovert
Historic Forum Post
Pablo -

Sorry to hear you're bailing out. I agree with some of the things you've said, however, disagree with others. Here's my two cents:

I most STRONLY agree with you that Philips should provide better support. That can take many different forms, the first of which would be remote codes for more equipment, the way that the TC does. In fact, if they wanted to get SMART about it, they could package the ProntoEdit software, along with IR codes, and a few more "pretty" interfaces, on a CD-ROM in the box. If a consumer complains that they don't know how to program the remote, or they don't have a PC, then the push back that Philips can have is that they didn't buy from an authorized dealer, whom they could pre-qualify to have the ability to program the remotes for their customers.

I also agreed with you about "average" users being fearful of, or unwilling to, program. Many want a product that will "hit the ground running" straight out of the box. The problem with that is that you're confined to someone else's vision of how you should be using your equipment... definitely a Microsoft paradigm embedded in that product!

I've had my Pronto about a month now, and there was a time about 2 weeks into programming that I began wondering what I had gotten myself into. I was ready to seek a qualified therapist for spending $300 on something that was causing me so much work. But with a little persistance, I settled on both a task-based paradigm, and interface, that would suit my likes.

I agree with Dale when he says that much of what you describe as problematic with the Pronto is attributable not so much to the Pronto itself, but touchscreens in general. Either you like this style of remote, or you don't. Form follows function - it's a tradeoff. Ergo = narrower; narrower = smaller screen; smaller screen = less customization. Or, to make it easier to handle, it would have to be LONGER. But longer, to give more room for more hard buttons, presents it's own aesthetic and ergonomic challenges. I've seen the TheaterMaster photos, and I definitely think it's not for me - it reminds me of a boomerang on steroids. Too bulky and impractical for my tastes. Of course, if anyone ever breaks into my home, I can use it as a club in self defense.

It took a bit of getting used to, but I like the form of the Pronto. Could it be better? Maybe, but I 'm not sure what sacrifices a different shaped alternative would impose, and whether or not I'd want to give up a wider screen for an eaiser grip, or the short, compact design for more hard buttons.

back to support for a moment, I agree that Philips isn't the greatest where that's concerned, but I doubt that users of other remotes from Sony or Microsoft will get better results. We need to rememmber that this isn't Philps' core business, therefore it doesn't get as much focus as, say, their handheld PC products. But, if you were to purchase a product from a smaller company, it is exposed to the financial risks that plage small companies, in that they may go out of business, and THEN you'd REALLY see lousy support! Remember the CORE reomote? What ever happened to that? The upside to dealing with a Philips product is that it has the benefit of being backed by the financial resources of a huge company that can "float" a new product financially, as it grows into the market. If the tradeoff is lackluster response from the vendor, then I can deal with it, because the community support is strong.

In retrospect, despite my brief frustration a few weeks back, it's all been worth it for me. Basically, you have to make a tradeoff... there's not going to be a "perfect" remote, as you pointed out.

Hope this helps put some things into perspective, and much luck finding the "perfect" remote!

Regards,
Rovert.

Hosting Services by ipHouse