The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 17 made on Friday August 7, 2009 at 11:17
Ernie Bornn-Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
That advice about deleting all the panel etc that you had is great advice if you don't follow the general idea of the instructions, which is to make a button and then learn a command ON THAT BUTTON. If you then delete the button, you've lost the command.

I learned that early on and created a dumb-looking device with some twenty blank rectangles. When I need to learn a new device, I name each rectangle in lower case (to distinguish it from a button with graphics), in the order in which they appear on the remote, top to bottom, then learn the commands to those buttons and store them with the device name.

Then when I do the actual remote, I alias each artwork to those buttons. If I decide to change artwork, I can delete entire pages without losing the reference buttons.

Another thing I learned was that when making a large bunch of macros, for instance tuner buttons a1, a2, etc, there might be a need for a delay between the commands. A full set of macros might have a hundred delays, and if I was wrong and needed to change the delay, I had a hundred changes to make.

Instead of assigning delays directly from the editor, I made a master button named delay, assigned it a delay from the editor, then aliased to that button when I made macros. Then if it turned out that the macros needed a longer delay or could tolerate a shorter delay, I only had to change the delay on the one master delay button, and all macro delays would now be different.

racingsnake, you don't mention where your latest post is, and it's not in this thread. Threads are always moving up and down in the list here, and we can't tell which threads have posts by whom, so if you really want us to see it, a link is necessary.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse