The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 26 made on Thursday July 9, 2009 at 08:39
Bucdup
Long Time Member
January 2005
On July 8, 2009 at 00:57, Gizmologist09 said...
Saw whole house systems frequently in the DFW area of the high dollar homes. 50kw+ was not uncommon at all. We did one house that had a 600 amp service and a transformer in the yard. We pulled multiple 750 MCM cables 500 ft from the utility to their yard. They wanted a whole house backup but the city the area would have to be zoned differently to accommodate the genset and fuel supply. They settled on a 100kw and ran dedicated lines. The entire AC system was on it.

Sounds like someone cannot do a proper NEC 220 load calculation.... You do not need to match amp for amp on whole house power. A 100 kW generator has 417 amps of continuous output at 240V single phase... I doubt if the damand load on a 600 amp service exceeded that by much, maybe 480 amps? If so, I do not see where a 125 - 150kW generator would have been much of an issue with zoning as those sizes are usually housed in a similar enclosure...

Could have been 3 phase power on a home that size I guess... but still could not have been far from covering the demand.
Ecclesiastes 2:10-11 [Link: biblegateway.com]

Hosting Services by ipHouse