The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 24 made on Wednesday June 3, 2009 at 12:46
Ernie Bornn-Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On June 3, 2009 at 12:23, Gizmologist09 said...
OK this is pretty simple.

Agreed.
Whatever button you press, a coded data stream or burst is created and transmitted to a discriminator that takes the info of that datastream or burst and says "If I get this command I will tell the CD player to select the next disc".
Not true. If I push a mechanically latching push-on push-off switch to turn on a relay, there is no coded data stream.

The triggering of the change mechanism is a short duration pulse to activate a latch circuit etc. just te same as momentarily pushing the from panel button.

Like I said above.
A touchtone phone pad generates a 2 tone pulse that is identified by a discriminator and says the if these 2 tones are read simultaneously, "I will turn this particular circuit."

That's true, except that a touchtone phone pad generates a 2 tonse series of pulses, not a pulse. It just occurred to me that a person's pulse due to heart beats is a repeating pulse, not a single change from no pressure to pressure to no pressure. Obviously you and I are both missing the fact that "pulse" has more than one definition.

By definition, a pulse is a short duration change of state of some sort of switching or generating device.

As I said, there's more than one definition. But by this definition, a telephone touchtone control signal is not A pulse but A SERIES of pulses.

The keyboard you are sitting at is using a matrix connection under the keys to generate ASCII codes when you MOMENTARILY depress a key. That is a short duration pulse. If you hit CNTRL B you toggle the screen on or off in Powerpoint. The same holds true from power switching. Unless there is a toggle, rocker, or rotary switch in the primary supply of a device, any non latching mechanical control (push button etc) remote data stream, etc is delivering a MOMENTARY "PULSE" to trigger the device to goggle on or off.

This is a good example of your point, modified to "it can be" rather than "all are."

If you look back, you'll see that I've said several times that your error here is in saying ALL and EVERY. This last paragraph has an "unless" in it. If you say ALL and EVERY, and you're not overlooking things, there will be no UNLESSes.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse