The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 18 made on Sunday May 31, 2009 at 23:36
Ernie Bornn-Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On May 31, 2009 at 23:15, Gizmologist09 said...
We use power sequencers all the time in pro audio systems. They use a pulse- triggered, clocked decade counter to fire up SS relays or deliver flip flop pulses.

Okay.

You still aren't seeing that no matter what code stream you use, when you control the operational power of any device by any means aside from a mechanically latched switch, you are using a pulse to activate the circuit.

That's right. Your only real problem is saying "no matter what" and "any device." What you say is true, but not for all devices and code stream.

A relay connected to a power source is not a mechanially latched switch. I agree that I'm not seeing that when I plug a power transformer into the switched outlet of an AV receiver and use that 12 volts to close a relay, with the voltage from the power supply keeping the relay closed for the entire session, that is not a pulse. Or it IS a pulse, technically, where zero voltage equals logic zero and 12 volts equals logic one, and it's a one bit word, too; but a pulse or word that's as long as the session. For SuperBowl Sunday, then, such a pulse might be ten hours long. But I doubt that's what you mean. If that's what you mean, that's downright silly.

I'm not seeing that when a hex word encoded into IR is sent to a switching IC inside a preamp, that the control is a pulse. Do you call it a pulse if a command is a digital word that defines the next state, the IC assumes that state, and the command then ceases? Since a pulse is ONE voltage up, voltage down, I'd say any digital command that is a sequence of pulses is not a pulse. That sorta sounds obvious, doesn't it? Is it untrue?
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse