The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 16 made on Sunday May 31, 2009 at 22:56
Ernie Bornn-Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On May 31, 2009 at 21:08, Gizmologist09 said...
Question for you: why do you suppose the manufacturers use pulsed triggers?
Could it have something to do with design efficiency?

Sure. If they have a preamp that outputs control pulses, then it would make sense for an amp to respond to them. This really would take some research to pin down, especially as the preamp and amp could get out of sync.

Second, every RF and wireless remote use a pulse trigger from the microprocessor to cause a flip flip to change from one state to the other.

That's not true. RTI RF remotes send quite complicated codes that initiate an action or a series of actions, and sending the code again causes the same series to be initiated again. If you resend during the sequence, the resend is ignored.

Pronto RF remotes send out entire series of codes, to be received and converted into IR, with no interpreting ability in the receiver. SM Automatic RF drapery remotes send codes that are interpreted by its receiving circuitry as one of many commands, being open, close, or stop (and open followed by open is also stop) for eight zones plus an all-zone command. This is not the same as what you describe, so your "every" is incorrect and you need to examine things more carefully.

You can use an SCR to latch on for a DC load but all it takes is a pulse to gate the SCR on, but you must then break the DC supply to stop conduction.

True! That is a property of the junction, not a property of a remote. I've used audio to trigger Triacs, a variation on SCRs, and the Triac turns off every half cycle until a trigger re-presents. But what you said and what I just said have nothing to do with inherent properties of remotes.

Using a flip flop is faster, cleaner, and allows use of wireless remotes.

We must be defining wireless remotes differently. I don't mean to be catty here -- there's something you're saying, that is true, that doesn't match my world of wireless remotes, so I think you mean something different.

There is no sustained closure with a remote unless it is a old style, discrete component, hardwired pickle switch.

Exactly, but those things we called "wired remotes" in the eighties are pretty much gone, and no longer included in our concepts of remotes.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse