The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 83 made on Thursday November 13, 2008 at 15:52
capitolm94
Long Time Member
November 2008
I am new here, but I have to agree with "Thejake:" if the remote is available, so should the software.

I am in the same boat as this guy and planning to pick up a remote soon. If i can get one from a reputable vendor, e.g. amazon ([Link: amazon.com]), then they(URC or someone) should provide the software. Consider a counterexample: RTI remotes. I think those look cool, but a little internet searching didnt reveal anywhere to pick one up. They are controlling the distribution better at least, and thus have some ground to not distribute the software. The core issue is this difference between product and software availability.

As an installer this is the wrong way to protect your business. Think of the dilemma of big record labels; they have decided that rather than adapt to a new business model they are going to limit and sue their customers. Same thing is going on here. As an installer, you have to provide something that is just much much better than people can do themselves or they wont want to pay for it, especially in these hard times. Also, just like the record labels, dont make the mistake of assuming that everyone who buys a remote and wants to do it themselves (or downloads an mp3) is a lost sale. Many people (like me) dont want a professionally programmed remote; I like to change and tweak my gear and dont want to call an installer every time I get some new thing or decide to change the connections.

Anyways, good luck to installers, I have seen that you can do great work; rely on that and you dont need to rip on DIY people.

Hosting Services by ipHouse